Why use a course gamification leaderboard?
- It encourages faculty to keep grades current.
- Students realize someone is paying attention to their progress and has a bigger picture perspective.
- Following the adage, “you cannot manage what you do not measure”, students see evidence of the progress of others and see overall measurement of class progress.
- Intrinsic motivation is activated with some competitive feelings (the leaderboard does not sort by progress or assign placement, which mitigates discouragement of being at “the bottom of the board”).
- Seeing “gamification” in the course menu helps to mitigate anxiety and undo some of the dysfunctional illusions of rigor in higher education.
- A course leaderboard helps to set a growth mindset on progress instead of treating grades as final
A new option for the Blackboard course gamification leaderboard is now available. The course progress is displayed in total course points with the current viewer at the top of the board. Instructor users are hidden. The leaderboard works in Ultra and Original.
When there are no students added to the class, randomized demo data is displayed.
The tool can be added to LTI course tools or content area menu to add an item in the course:
The first version of the tool will continue to operate as expected. The first version displays progress based on X axis starting at the course average. It also provides some options for simulating data by students.
Course Gamification Tools for Blackboard Learn | Gamification and Play :: Experience Design for Learning
The installation of the LTI tool for version 2 is the same as version 1, with a new URL: https://apps.dataii.com /bb/coursegames2/
Instructors and students can use the application from Tools Area or insert it as a web link. If the administrator configures an LTI tool placement instructors can insert a link into any content area of the course.
Download the icon – right click and save as:
Installation instructions for Blackboard administrators
1. Ensure your Blackboard Learn system has REST API enabled.
2. Navigate to SysAdmin -> REST API Integrations
3. Create Integration with Application ID: 0adae04c-04de-43d4-8650-76bb16f44701
4. Create or select an existing user with read access to gradebooks; course administrator role will also work.
5. Navigate to SysAdmin -> Building Blocks -> LTI Tool Providers
6. Select Register Provider Domain
7. Provider Domain: apps.dataii.com
8. Generate a Tool Provider Key and Secret: generate LTI information
Directions for instructors
- Navigate to your course
- Select Build Content -> Web Link ( if configured as LTI tool placement, then use the appropriate menu under Tools )
- Name: Gamification Leaderboard
- URL: https://apps.dataii.com/bb/coursegames2/
- Make sure to select “This link is to a Tool Provider.” This will only work after the above steps are completed by the Blackboard Administrator.